In the beginning there was … Django. Of course, Mystèretrio Quartet is paying tribute to the gypsy master with this very successful sixth album, “Les Saisons du Swing”, in which they play several of his pieces and particularly a very original and effective “Minor Swing”. But the quartet is mainly distilling its own colors with nine original compositions, the fruits of touring around the world for 18 years. The wide-ranging musical influences have swing and virtuosity as common denominators, but also a warm, personal and authentic sound.
The two guitarists from Toulouse, Christophe Gruel and Cyril Salvagnac, who founded the group in 1998, have the quiet virtuosity of those who possess the gift, to which they’ve added a lot of practice and many kilometers traveled. They can play very fast, but they don’t necessarily.
The rhythm is also solid, with bassist Fabrice Camboulive, the last to join the original trio, bringing roundness and a new sound to the group, accompanied byLaurent Meyer, singular drummer-percussionist who has managed to incorporate into gypsy swing the particular Cajon sound that transports us to the Americas.
On top of their technical skills, the four instrumentalists display a mastery in composition and original arrangements. One can only admire this quality in the writing, constantly enhancing the melody and drawing from its gypsy, Spanish, Latin, Afro-blue, Balkan and groove roots.
For Mystèretrio Quartet, no season is sad, all are pretexts to Swing.
Chronicle by Couleurs Jazz – 19th of may -2016
MYSTERETRIO QUARTET has opted for digital distribution. As with their last two albums, « Du nord au Swing » and «Restons Scène », « Les Saisons du Swing » is available via the Deezer and Spotify platforms… and will be on 300 paid download platforms.
But even better than listening to the album, discover MYSTERETRIO QUARTET live: More than 1,000 concerts and impeccable staging….
The travels of MYSTERE TRIO
– International jazz Festival of Montréal
– Euro Jazz Festival of Mexico
– Guatemala International Jazz Festival
– Tour in Ecuador, El Salvador, Bolivia, and Peru
– First edition of the music festival of Erbil – Kurdistan
– Gouvy Jazz Festival – Belgium
– Django festival at Liberchies – Belgium
– Salamontjuic Festival of Barcelona
– Tanjazz Festival of Tanger – Morocco
– Origano Festival de Dornbirn – Autriche
– Jazz Festival « Glatt & Verkhert » at Krems – Austria
– Gypsy Jazz festival of Noumea – New Caledonie
– Jazz à Vienne Festival – France
– Jazz Festival of Juan les Pins
– Toulouse d’été Festival – Toulouse, France
– Jazz sur son 31 Festival in Toulouse, France
– Rhino Jazz Festival at Rive-de-Gier, France
– International de guitare Festival of Vendôme, France
– « Les Biennales de la guitare » Festival at Chambéry, France
– Guitar Festival de guitare of Issoudun, France
– Swing 41 Festival at Salbris, France
– and so others…
For what regards the First edition of the music festival of Erbil – Kurdistan the 21st June of 2008, MYSTERE TRIO was selected by the French embassy in Kurdistan, the Kurdish government, and Cultures France.
In March 2007, MYSTERE TRIO made a tour during a full month in South America (Mexico, Ecuador, El Salvador, Bolivia, and Peru), with shows, master classes, and educational concerts.
Meetings on stage were made with Manu DI BANGO, Didier LOCKWOOD, Sylvain LUC , Angelo DEBARRE , Le trio ELB ( Peter ERSKINE, Nguyên LÊ, Michel BENITA ), Omar SOSA, MAURANE, Thomas DUTRONC, and many more.
« Mystère trio » : single 4 titles, released May 2000 (EMP Records, distribution Night and Day).
« Expression » : album with 10 titles, released June 2001 (Musiquémo Editions, Distribution MosaicMusic), awarded with 4 **** in Jazzman Magazine in May 2002.
« Comme l’air » : album with 13 titles released June 2001 (Musiquémo Editions, Distribution MosaicMusic)
« Sérieusement live » album with 14 titles, released March 2006 (self made production, Distribution MosaicMusic)
« Du Nord au swing » album with 13 titles released May 2008 (produced by Vitavic, Distribution MosaicMusic)
« Restons scène » album with 12 titles released March 2012 self made production (MVS DISTRIBUTION)
« Les saisons du swing » album with 12 titles released september 2015, self made production, Digital Distribution only !
Line up :
Cyril SALVAGNAC : guitar
Christophe GRUEL : guitar,
Fabrice CAMBOULIVE : double bass
Laurent MEYER : drums, percussions